Famous Carretta Carbonara
Updated: Apr 23
2 tbsp. of olive oil
2 tbsp. butter
¾ cup of lean pancetta or bacon (diced small)
¾ cup of Vidalia onion (diced small)
1 garlic clove (optional)
1 lb. of linguini
3 large egg yolks
1 heaping cup of freshly grated Parmesan, Pecorino, or Locatelli cheese
1 1/2 cup of water used for pasta cooking (IMPORTANT! Do not forget to save the pasta water)
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
1 tbsp. parsley
1. Boil water in a large pot and add salt for the linguini.
2. In a large skillet add oil and butter on high heat.
3. As the butter melts, add ¾ cup of lean pancetta or bacon, ¾ cup of Vidalia onion and 1 garlic clove (optional)
(see figure 1)
4. Meanwhile, cook the linguini in a large pot of boiling water.
5. Sauté 3-4 minutes or until the pancetta or bacon renders the fat, the onions are soft and light brown.
6. Reduce heat to low. Add 1/2 tsp. salt and 1/2 tsp. pepper. Remove the optional clove of garlic. (Note: If sauce begins to get dry add some water from the pasta.)
(see figure 2)
7. The pasta should now be al dente. Drain the al dente linguini and save a cup of pasta water.
8. In a separate bowl beat the egg yolks and ½ the heaping cup of freshly grated Parmesan, Pecorino, or Locatelli cheese.
Season with salt, pepper, and parsley.
(see figure 3)
9. Add back a cup of pasta water to the linguini. Add pancetta and onion mixture. Pour the egg and cheese mixture. Mix well to coat the linguini.
10. Add the remaining cheese and mix well. Serve.