Marion's Orecchiette San Bartolomeo de Galdo Style | With Sausage + Broccoli Rabe
Orecchiette in Italian means “little ears”
16 ounces of Orecchiette
6 tablespoons of olive oil
1 pound of hot or sweet Italian sausage
4 garlic cloves diced
1 cup of chicken broth
1 pound of broccoli rabe (broccoli florets or a mix of 8 ounces of broccoli florets/6 ounces of spinach – remove stems may be substituted)
½ cup of white wine
1 medium yellow onion diced
½ teaspoon of salt
¼ teaspoon of red pepper flakes to taste
3 tablespoons of butter
½ cup grated Pecorino Romano cheese
1) In a large skillet, crumble 1 pound of sausage and brown over medium heat in 2 tablespoons of olive oil.
2) In a pot of boiling salted water cook orecchiette al dente.
3) Add to the skillet and sauté 4 tablespoons of olive oil, 4 cloves diced garlic, 1 medium yellow onion diced and ¼ teaspoon of red pepper flakes to taste.
4) To remove bitter notes: Blanch the 1 pound of broccoli rabe. To blanch place the broccoli rabe in boiling water for about 2 minutes, to bright green and barely tender, then place into cold water with ice.
5) Add to the skillet 1 pound of broccoli rabe and sauté until the broccoli is tender crisp.
6) Stir in 3 tablespoons of butter then simmer for a few minutes on reduced heat.
7) Add to the skillet ½ cup of white wine and 1 cup of chicken broth and simmer on reduced heat.
8) Drain well the al dente orecchiette. Add the sausage/ broccoli rabe mixture and ¼ cup of Pecorino Romano cheese and toss mixture.
9) Transfer to a serving platter a sprinkle ¼ cup of Pecorino Romano cheese over the pasta mixture. Enjoy!