Tony D’s Italian Tomato Basil Bruschetta
Serves 6 to 8. A wide variety of wines pair well with Bruschetta including reds like Pinot Noir and Chianti or Whites such as a Pinot Grigio and Chardonnay.
· 2 pounds ripe tomatoes (about 6 – 8 medium plum tomatoes, or an equivalent volume of cherry tomatoes)
· ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
· ½ teaspoon salt, to taste
· ¼ teaspoon black pepper, to taste
· 1/3 cup finely diced yellow onion
· ½ cup chopped or ribbon cut fresh basil
· 2 cloves garlic, pressed or minced
· 1 baguette of French bread or similar Italian bread
· ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
· ½ teaspoon of oregano
· 1 tablespoon of high quality (thick) balsamic vinegar
1) Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.
2) Dice and drain the tomatoes of excess water and seeds. Add to mixing bowl.
3) Finely Dice or mince 2 garlic cloves and 1/3 cup yellow onion. Add to mixing bowl.
4) Ribbon cut ½ cup of basil. Use the cigar method. (Roll the Basil leaves into a cigar like roll and cut into thin ribbons) See picture. Add to mixing bowl.
5) Add ½ teaspoon of oregano to mixing bowl.
6) Add ¼ cup of grated parmesan cheese.
7) Marinate mixture.
8) Cut baguette horizontally or a slight diagonal for larger serving sizes into 3/8 to ½ inches thick slices. Place on a large baking sheet. Lightly brush both sides of each slice with olive oil to yield a golden brown color, crunchy texture and light taste. DO NOT OVER TOAST.
9) Toast until golden brown about 7 to 9 minutes.
10) Drain excess water from the mixing bowl.
11) Add remaining olive oil (about 3 tablespoons), salt and pepper to the mixing bowl.
12) Top toasted baguette slices with the tomato mixture.