Tony's Italian Sausage Roll Appetizer
1 package of puff pastry (eg. Dalfour’s or Trader Joe’s), thawed
1 bunch of Swiss chard finely minced
2 tbsp of olive oil
2 medium cloves garlic, minced
1/2 tsp of red pepper flakes to taste
1 small onion finely diced
16 ounces mild Italian sausage
1 tsp of Salt to taste
1 tsp of Pepper to taste
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Thaw 1 puffed pastry.
2. Brown 16 oz. mild Italian sausage and well drain excess fat.
3. Remove center ribs from chard and finely mince. (Important to get it very finely minced!) Drain well.
4. Sauté in 2 Tablespoons of olive oil (or the oil from browning the sausage) the garlic, onion and pepper flakes.
5. Add 1 bunch of Swiss chard finely minced continue to sauté. Salt and pepper to taste.
6. Add sausage to Swiss chard, garlic, onion and pepper flakes mixture. Mix well and continue to sauté. Let cool.
7. Roll out one sheet puff pastry. Place filling along center and tightly roll. Seal seam. Scramble egg and Brush on to sealed sausage roll.
8. Bake at 400F for about 35-40 minutes until golden brown. Let rest at least 10 minutes.